AMES, Iowa -- Students leading Iowa State University's Veishea 2005 executive board have reinvented their organization -- with the support of university administrators -- to focus on a number of community and campus service projects throughout the academic year.
The students normally would be planning the annual spring Veishea celebration, which President Gregory Geoffroy suspended for 2005 after violence in Campustown marred the April 2004 event. Geoffroy will make a decision on the student-run celebration's future during spring semester 2005, after reviewing reports from the Veishea task force and commission. Those groups will submit reports by Nov. 30.
The Veishea executive board, working throughout the summer, has formed a new group, "Leaders INspiring Connections," or LINC. President Geoffroy has met with LINC members and says he is pleased with the group's plans for the coming year. Vice President for Student Affairs Tom Hill says it's a transformation that will allow students to build leadership skills and significantly contribute to the ISU and Ames communities, despite the lack of a spring festival.
"We didn't want to have an entire year or more pass without an opportunity for our student leaders, who have many talents and interests, to build upon those skills to benefit Iowa State and the Ames community," Hill said.
The LINC executive board seeks committee members to help them carry out the following events:
- A middle school day, in which top middle school students will visit the ISU campus.
- A winter festival in December, which may include music, an international food fair, the lighting of the campanile and various student organization fundraisers.
- Stars Over ISU (ISU Theatre production of 'The Secret Garden')
- A student comedy contest
- A student singing competition, "Cyclone Idol"
- Several major community service projects
- Playground building in the Ames community
- A faculty and staff awards ceremony
- A student leadership awards ceremony
To apply for a LINC committee position, students may go to the website at www.stuorg.iastate.edu/linc/. Applications are due on Oct. 1 at 5 p.m. at the West Student Office Space desk in the Memorial Union. Interviews will be held Oct. 3-5.