Powder found on campus isn't dangerous

AMES, Iowa -- A hazardous materials team has determined the powder that spilled out of an envelope sent to Iowa State University's Admissions Office is not a dangerous substance.

Members of the Des Moines Fire Department's hazardous materials team determined the powder is a common household cleaner.

And so fire officials said Alumni Hall could be occupied as of early Tuesday afternoon. About 80 people were evacuated from the building Tuesday morning when the powder was discovered in the building's mailroom.

Employees who work in Alumni Hall have been sent home for the day.

The envelope was addressed to Iowa State's Admissions Office. There was nothing in the envelope but the powder. There was some return information on the envelope.

Hazardous materials units from the Ames Fire Department and the Des Moines Fire Department responded to the scene.