ISU's Sweeney Hall reopened at 3:10 p.m. today (Aug. 27) after an acid spill in a third-floor laboratory was neutralized and the immediate area was cleaned.
The building was evacuated over the noon hour following a hydrochloric acid spill in room 3132. No injuries were reported.
According to Ross Behling, a graduate student in charge of the lab, another student was pouring the acid from a glass bottle when it slipped from her grasp and shattered onto the floor. Behling estimated there were approximately two to three liters of hydrochloric acid remaining in the four-liter bottle when it spilled.
Crews from ISU Police, Ames Fire Department and Hazmat, ISU's Environmental Health and Safety, and Mary Greeley Medical Center responded at the scene.