A letter from Iowa State University Police Chief Michael Newton
Dear campus community:
As you are likely aware, the Ames Police Department is investigating the suspicious death of a golfer that occurred at Coldwater Golf Links today (Sept. 17). The identity of the deceased is being withheld pending notification of family.
The community has been asked to stay away from Coldwater while the investigation continues.
Anyone who was in the area this morning and may have witnessed anything unusual should call Ames Police at 911 or 515-239-5533.
While this incident did not occur on campus, we continually assess campus safety, and this incident highlights the importance of being vigilant with respect to personal safety. It is critical for everyone to be aware of their surroundings and to take steps to ensure their own safety. Please consider the following:
- When possible, change your daily routine and routes to class and activities
- Tell others where you are going and when you expect to arrive
- Stick with friends; walk in pairs or groups
- Travel in well-lit areas
- Avoid heavily wooded or secluded areas
- Carry your phone and ID
- Avoid technology distractions
Additionally, take advantage of resources available to members of the ISU community, including:
- SafeRide offers free rides to Iowa State students, faculty, staff and visitors every day from 9:30 p.m. to 5:30 a.m. SafeRide can be accessed through the app (available through the Google Play and Apple stores) or by calling 515-294-4444.
- Free escorts to and from campus buildings and parking lots. Call 515-294-4428 for this service.
As always, if you see something, say something. Trust your instincts. If you’re in a situation that just doesn’t feel right, or things seem out of place, call police immediately. Never hesitate. We are here to help. There is nothing more important to us than your safety.