AMES and ESTHERVILLE, Iowa -- Iowa State University and Iowa Lakes Community College have joined forces to make it more convenient for Iowa Lakes students who want to earn an associate degree and transfer to Iowa State to earn their four-year degree. Iowa Lakes Community College President Harold Prior and ISU President Gregory Geoffroy announced the joint admission program at a news conference today at the Estherville campus of Iowa Lakes.
Through the Admissions Partnership Program, Iowa Lakes Community College students who plan to pursue bachelor's degrees at Iowa State will receive special benefits to help pave the way for academic success at both schools. Students accepted into the Admissions Partnership Program will receive the following benefits while still enrolled at Iowa Lakes:
- Advising and guidance from Iowa Lakes and Iowa State
- Receipt of transfer credit evaluation (each term in the Admissions Partnership Program) and ISU degree evaluation for intended program of study at Iowa State.
- Student services
- Career fairs and career services
- Library facilities
- Extracurricular activities and opportunities
- Recreational facilities and programs
- Athletic events and entertainment events at student prices
- Exhibits and cultural events
- Opportunities to live in ISU housing
This new relationship with Iowa Lakes expands Iowa State's outreach with the state's community college students. ISU piloted its Admissions Partnership Program with Des Moines Area Community College in 2006. This academic year, the university will continue to establish partnership agreements with all community colleges in Iowa.
"Our Admissions Partnership Program with Iowa's community colleges has been very successful in giving Iowa students more educational benefits and options, and we are delighted to expand this innovative program with the students, faculty and staff of Iowa Lakes Community College," said Iowa State University President Geoffroy. "Iowa's community colleges play an important role in educating Iowa students, and we look forward to welcoming many Iowa Lakes students into this program, and, in the future, as students at Iowa State."
President Prior was pleased with the agreement which was completed with input from staff at both educational institutions.
"This program with Iowa State University ensures more transfer opportunities -- as well as additional support services in advising -- for students at Iowa Lakes," said Iowa Lakes President Prior. "We're delighted with this partnership with ISU. It creates great opportunities for our Iowa Lakes students who plan to transfer to Iowa State."
Students who want to be a part of the Admissions Partnership Program must enroll at Iowa Lakes Community College as a degree-seeking student in a program appropriate for transfer. Following admission to Iowa Lakes, students will work with their Iowa Lakes advisers to complete and submit an Admissions Partnership Program application form. A student who is accepted into the program by Iowa State:
- Meets with his or her Iowa Lakes adviser prior to registration as required;
- Consults with an assigned ISU academic adviser to develop a transfer plan and to make any changes to that plan;
- Follows a course of study at Iowa Lakes that will meet ISU entrance requirements and fulfill college and program requirements for his or her intended major;
- Submits an ISU Undergraduate Application for Admission form and pays an application fee to ISU, one term prior to transferring to Iowa State.
Additional information about the Admissions Partnership Program is available online, through a Iowa Lakes Community College adviser or through an ISU transfer admissions counselor (800-262-3810). Applications are available now at Iowa Lakes.