SANTA ROSA, NM -- Iowa State sophomore Tyler Danielson, 19, of Carlisle, was killed Saturday morning, March 13, in a one-car accident in eastern New Mexico. Danielson was traveling with friends for spring break. He was a passenger in a 2003 Saturn that hit a median and rolled over, ejecting four of the six passengers.
Danielson died at the scene. According to a New Mexico Department of Public Safety news release, the other five people in the car were airlifted to the University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque for critical injuries. Restraints were not used at the time of the crash, and alcohol was not listed as a contributing factor.
The injured include:
• Anand Patel, 18, of India, a former Iowa State student who recently transferred to Oklahoma City Community College;
• Jiahui Liu, age unknown, of China, who has been enrolled at Iowa State as a non-degree seeking student since fall 2009;
• Peng Bao, 20, of China, freshman in electrical engineering at Iowa State;
• Wei Feng, 22, of China, graduate student in biochemistry, biophysics and molecular biology at Iowa State; and
• Christina Cole, 22, of Perry, Iowa.
ISU's Dean of Students Office and International Students & Scholars Office are reaching out to the families of those students involved in the accident to offer their support. Patel, Bao and Feng have been discharged from the hospital. The conditions of the other injured persons are unknown at this time.
Arrangements for Danielson scheduled
Danielson's family has asked ISU to inform the community of a Facebook memorial created for Tyler ("Rest in Peace Tyler James Danielson"). The funeral is scheduled for Monday, March 22, at 10 a.m. at St. John the Apostle Catholic Church, 720 Orchard Hills Drive, Norwalk. Visitation for Danielson will be Sunday, March 21, from 1 to 5 p.m. at the church. Burial will be at Sacred Heart Cemetery in Boone.