Aug. 25 3:30 p.m. update
Campus services, operations and scheduled activities will return to regular hours on Saturday, Aug. 26. ISU Dining will have a modified schedule for the weekend:
- Union Drive Marketplace, Seasons – standard hours (9am-2pm brunch, 4:30-8pm, dinner)
- MU Market and Café – standard hours
- East Side Market, West Side Market – standard hours
- Hawthorn Market and Café – standard hours
- Lance & Ellie’s, Memorial Union Food Court, Bookends – closed
Parks Library is hosting a “Play at Parks” event from 4-8 p.m. on Aug. 25. Students are invited for free pizza, movies and video games. The Iowa State volleyball match vs. South Dakota will be played as scheduled (6:30 p.m., Aug. 25).
In-person classes will resume on Monday, Aug. 28.
University leaders thank you for your flexibility, patience and understanding.
Aug. 25 8 a.m. update
The campus cooling system is back up and running thanks to the hard work of Facilities, Planning and Management crews to restore the chillers following a fire at the university’s power plant on Aug. 24.
Crews were able to make repairs sooner than expected based on initial estimates. However, it will take time for some campus buildings to return to regular temperatures, which is why the university worked to prioritize student services for those who are still on campus. Friday classes will remain virtual or canceled. In-person classes will resume on Monday.
With the cooling system restored, the following campus services plan to re-open – all have regular operating hours unless noted:
- Grab-and-go breakfast at Seasons, Wallace-Wilson and UDCC from 8-10 a.m.
- Lunch at UDM and Seasons from 11:30 a.m. -1:30 p.m.
- Grab-and-go lunch at Wallace-Wilson from 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Dinner at UDM and Seasons from 5 p.m.-7 p.m.
- East and west side markets will be open 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- ISU Bookstore – opening at 9 a.m.
- Memorial Union
- Thielen Student Health Center
- Student Services Building
- Parks Library (including Tech Lending) – open for partial service from 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Sloss House
- Hixon-Lied Student Success Center
- Lied Recreation Center, State Gym and Beyer Hall
- The SHOP, located at Beyer Hall
- Student Innovation Center – open until 5 p.m.
- Design Building – opening at noon for studio work and collaboration spaces
Additional updates for other services and events will be posted on this page. Most academic buildings remain locked on Friday.
Facilities crews continue to make repairs, which may result in some temporary disruptions.
Campus events, services (updated Aug. 25 at 11:10 a.m.)
Student Organizations: Events canceled Aug. 25
Child Development Lab School: Closed Aug. 25
Cyclone Cinema: Canceled Aug. 25
ISU AfterDark: Canceled Aug. 25
CyBowl & Billiards: Closed Aug. 25
Design Reading Room: Closed Aug. 25
Test centers: Closed Aug. 25
Human Resources Service Center: Closed Aug. 25
Aug. 24 6:35 p.m. update
Facilities, Planning and Management crews are working diligently to repair the damage from a fire at the power plant earlier today, which has disrupted the campus cooling system.
At this time, crews have restored two of the four chillers that support the cooling system. They also have stabilized the air conditioning for the residence halls. As previously communicated to students in non-air conditioned rooms, all dens and community spaces will continue to be available 24/7 during this period of excessive heat.
The City of Ames Electrical Department is providing power to maintain electricity on campus as repairs are made. The Ames Fire Department responded at 10:45 a.m. and extinguished the fire within an hour. No injuries were reported.
A reminder that classes on Friday, Aug. 25 will be virtual or canceled. Students should check email and Canvas for updates from their instructors. University Human Resources has developed guidance for employees to make arrangements with their supervisors on Friday.
Updates, cancelations and closures will continue to be provided below. Please note that most campus buildings will be locked on Friday, Aug. 25.
Aug. 24 1:20 p.m. update
Due to a fire at the power plant, the university is experiencing disruptions to the cooling system on campus.
As a result, classes that can, will move online for the remainder of Thursday, Aug. 24 and all day Friday, Aug. 25. Students should check email and Canvas for information from their instructors. Veterinary Medicine classes are NOT canceled as it is not impacted by the cooling system.
Students living on campus, who have the ability to go home for the weekend, are encouraged to do so. University leaders are working on ways to assist students who need to stay on campus.
All activities for Thursday, Aug. 24 are canceled. Employees should work with their supervisors to make arrangements.
Ames Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire. No injuries have been reported.
Updates will be posted on this page as available.